Skip to main content

Why Me?

I've been really blessed recently by one of my new favorite passages in Scripture, Ephesians 1:4. 
"Even as [in His love] He chose us [actually picked us out for Himself as His own] in Christ before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy (consecrated and set apart for Him) and blameless in His sight, even above reproach, before Him in love."

Before He spoke this earth into existence, God had a plan.  An intricate and stunning plan to breathe life into His sons and daughters, and increase His family of three to a family of millions.  His children would rule and reign with Him in victory, living a life of joy and peace here on earth and in the eternity to come.  Being God, who by very definition is love, His efforts in creating us were not merely some overflow of creativity by a massive creative being, though I'm sure His creations do spill out of Him like so much water.




                          He's a Father.  The perfect Father. 

A father knows His children well, and since our heavenly Father is also God, He knows us intimately.  As evidenced by the beautiful natural world around us, He is detailed and precise, patient and painstaking.  Our human bodies are phenomenally made, and our will to live and be loved are no accident.  If you ask an artist of any kind, they may tell you about the joy they feel when they are creating a painting, a meal, a song, or a poem…creating something that didn't previously exist.            

God, as a creator and artist Himself, is no different.
I can imagine Him sitting on His throne, or perhaps at a huge desk, thinking about each one of us, and what we would be like.  Much like an artist or engineer, He decided on hair color, body type, language, and IQ.  He made some of us to be introverted, while others are extroverted.  Our personalities, which vary and make us distinct, came from Him.  He knew some of us would face the world in a more serious tone, while others would help keep everyone from taking themselves too seriously. 

When He came to you, what joy He must have felt!  He delighted in creating and designing you, and I think He was elated when the time came to send your spirit down into your mother's womb to be born. 

It gets even better…Revelation 13:8 references Jesus as "The Lamb who was slain before the foundation of the world".  Jesus' death and resurrection, though they physically occurred 2,000 years ago, were eternal actions, and had already been done before the world was formed.  Which means that you, a priceless child of God, were redeemed, made holy, and sanctified before the foundation of the world.  Before you came to know Christ and what He'd done, you were already adopted in.  There was never a time when he thought you were a horrible dirty sinner.  He always seen you as His child.  You just didn't know who you were, and what Christ had done for you…until you believed. 

You are a precious, valuable child of God, created with purpose and passion, to live in such a time as this.  John 3:16 tells us that God so loved the world that He sent us Jesus...but God doesn't just love us as a whole.  He loves us passionately as individuals.  So, you and I can rejoice in knowing that He has lovingly created us to be expressions of Himself.

 


Ephesians 2:10  "For we are God’s [own] handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, [born anew] that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which He prepared ahead of time], that we should walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live]."  Amen!


Comments

  1. Wow! I love this! You have such a neat and unique way of crafting what you write.

    Love: An intricate and stunning plan to breathe life into His sons and daughters, and increase His family of three to a family of millions.

    I like the image that comes to mind when I think of Him sitting at a huge desk thinking over each one of his children :)) Redeemed, before the foundations of this world--now that is powerful and hard to wrap one's brain around. So awesome!! Praise God! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring post...it moved me to think much more deeply about the implications of what I believe, you know,"if this, then that." Your post definitely expanded my appreciation of who He is my consciousness, which contains the threads of life that he has woven there. Very very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Done

I've been a Christian my whole life.   My childhood years were full of activities very common in our culture today - Sunday school, youth group, and summer camps.  During my teens I transitioned into being a youth leader, worship leader, camp counselor, and nursery school teacher.  I attended a well-known Christian university in college and became a public school teacher…but I left my chosen profession of teaching (and my comfy, decent-paying job) after 4 years to attend a Bible college.  My life became more "ministry" centered, and I worked as a personal assistant to a minister and his wife, and eventually as a worship director in churches. Through all those experiences, I loved Jesus, and was so grateful for what He'd done for me.   In keeping with what I'd been taught over the years, I did whatever it took to get closer to Him.  Being very self-reflective, I was a pro at identifying all my supposed imperfections and failures.  I kept tallies in my head of the